Those of us who write online have any number of opportunities to win recognition for our work. We can submit our urls for consideration by those who offer badges, or blog "bling” (I am not making this up), to showcase our induction into these sometimes questionable Halls of Fame. Of course, each time our readers click that badge, it drives our hard-earned traffic directly to the awarding body's website. And if they have ads, which they do 99% of the time, they get revenue.
If it sounds like I am a bitter reject, it’s because I am. I have never been tapped as the Best New Blogger, Best New Curly Haired Blogger, Best Food Blogger Under 5”10 (okay 5”4), Best Food Blogger Whose First Name Rhymes with Meryl, or even Best Food Blog That Starts with the Number 5 and Ends with Her Own Last Name.
Therefore, a manifesto:
7 Reasons Why My Meaningless Food Blog Award is Better than
Your Meaningless Food Blog Award
1. Because now I can hand-pick those bloggers most likely to crow about being on my list, thereby bringing more fame and recognition to… ME!
2. Because creating a dubious meritocracy that ranks others’ work according to my own personal parameters is FUN!
3. Because if writing Top 10 lists is COOL, then writing Top 100 lists is 10 times cooler. Look, I can has math!
4. All the magazines and websites do it. Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it. Let’s do it – let’s make a list of the Top 10, 20, 500 Best blahblahblahs!
5. Because when you don’t have anything fresh to write about, you can just turn ordinary people into CELEBRITIES!
6. Because when I divide the social strata of the known universe into Important and Unimportant people, I instantly become SPECIAL!
7. (Important: If I ever get nominated to a Top anything list, kindly disregard everything I wrote in #1 -#6.)
Cheryl, 5 Second Rule (@sternmanrule)
with the support of the following, whom I hereby offer the title of The World's Bestest Awards List Rejects:
Ben at You Fed a Baby Chili (@brhau)
Danielle at Beyond the Plate (@Istellinead)
Denise at Chez Us (@chezus)
Winnie at Healthy Green Kitchen (@drwinnie)
Irvin at Eat The Love (@jackhonky)
Steph at Desserts for Breakfast (@shihbakes)
Tracy at Shutterbean (@shutterbean)
P.C. at The Runaway Spoon (@therunawayspoon)
Kimberly at Poor Girl Eats Well (@PoorGrlEatsWell)
Debra at Smith Bites (@smithbites)
Barbara at Vino Luci Style (@VinoLuci)
Jacqueline @ Leather District Gourmet (@ldgourmet)
Sharon at Nickel Moon
*NEW! Amy of Cooking with Amy (@cookingwithamy) b/c she followed my directive in the comments
There's been talk of desgining blog bling for this exclusive coterie. If that happens, you can guarantee I'll make it downloadable for all of you to put on your sites, thereby, of course, driving traffic to mine.
Let's celebrate me!